Friday, November 14, 2014

They fish for coins to stay afloat



Ashish Sharma | TNN

BIJNOR: Not many people who throw coins into the Ganga, in the hope that their wish will be granted, are aware that what is spare change for them is a source of survival for some of Bijnor's children. Children near the Ganga barrage dive into the holy river every day to retrieve coins. Mona Kashyap, a 16-year-old, said, "After my father passed away during my childhood, I adopted the task of collecting coins from the river. This is the only source of income for my mother and me. I manage to collect Rs 80 to Rs 100 every day. If I don't collect that much money then my mother would not be able to have food. I also indulge in manual labour, later in the day, to make ends meet." Some kids tie a magnet to the end of a rope, that they hang from the barrage, so they don't have to dive all the way to the bottom. Others, however, plunge deep into the holy river. 12-year-old Golu, said, "I collect Rs 50 to Rs 60 every day. After I am done from here, I wash utensils at a dhaba in the city, where I get Rs 2,000 per month." When 12-year-old Golu was asked if he wishes to study, he says with a smile, "That's the reason I work so hard! I want to earn a lot of money, so I So I can join school." 

No comments: